Title: Performing Arts Memorabilia Online Auction
Date: January 10, 2011
Time: through February 1, 2011
Exhibition: No in-person viewing. Auction preview is online only.
Contact Person: George Lowry
Swann is pleased to announce our first ever online-only auction, which will start January 10 and run through February 1. The sale will offer approximately 400 lots, which consist of selections from a large collection formed in the first half of the 20th Century.
There are signed photographs of the famous, near-famous and now-forgotten--among them stage and screen actors, opera singers, classical musicians, ballet dancers and more.
There are also signed Playbills from Broadway and road productions, many with letters and/or contemporary clippings.
Preview will be online-only.
Signed and inscribed photographs include:
- George Arliss, The first British actor to win Academy Award
- Marguerite Clark, Chorus girl to film star: voted top female movie star in 1916 and 1920
- Clara Clemens, Mark Twain’s second daughter and executor of his estate. Shows her in the lead role of her father’s Joan of Arc
- Rafaelo Diaz, Tenor sang with the Met 1917-1936
- Ignaz Friedman, Polish piano virtuoso
- Paul HaakonBallet and Broadway dancer
- Josef Hofmann, Piano virtuoso
- Al Jolson, “The world’s greatest entertainer”
- Julian Eltinge, Two photographs of the female impersonator, one in costume
- Morgan Kingston, Sang at the Met with Caruso
- Cleo Mayfield, Half of the acting team of Lean and Mayfield
- Vivienne Segal, Created the role of Vera Simpson in “Pal Joey”
- Marion Talley, Debuted at the Met in 1926 at the age of 19
- Eddie Cantor, Inscribed photograph, showing him in blackface
- Mrs. Thomas Whiffen, Born in 1845; performed actively into her 80s
Signed and Inscribed Playbills Include:
- South Pacific, 1949 Playbill signed on the cover by Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza
- Paul Robeson, 1931 Inscription on summer-stock program
- Tennessee Williams, 1945 Playbill for The Glass Menagerie, signed on the cover
- Boris Karloff, 1942 Playbill for Arsenic and Old Lace, signed on the cover
- Carousel, 1945 Playbill signed on the cover by every member of the cast
- Mister Roberts, 1948 Playbill signed on the cover by Henry Fonda, David Wayne, Robert Keith, and William Harrigan
- Gertrude Lawrence, 1942 Her signature on the cover of a Playbill for Lady in the Dark
- Crime and Punishment, 1947 Playbill Inscribed on the cover by John Gielgud and signed by Lillian Gish, Vladimir Sokoloff, and Dolly Haas
- Jack Dempsey, His signature on a 1928 program for The Big Fight
- O Mistress Mine, 1946 Playbill signed on the cover by Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne
- Porgy and Bess, 1943 Playbill signed on the cover by Todd Duncan and Etta Moten
- Saturday’s Children, 1928 program signed by Humphrey Bogart, Ruth Gordon and other cast members
- The Skin of Our Teeth, 1943 Playbill signed on the cover by Tallulah Bankhead, Frederick March, Florence Eldridge, Montgomery Clift and Frances Heflin